Who are City to Sea?
We’re a multi-award-winning non-profit environmental organisation campaigning to stop plastic pollution. Through our fun, solutions-focused initiatives we’re empowering individuals to make a difference in their communities, working with corporations and retailers to help them tackle plastic pollution and reaching millions of people with our digital content and campaigns.
We’re made up of everyday people doing extraordinary things; using our skills (and sometimes discovering new ones) to create a more beautiful world. Our mission is to connect our actions to the oceans, by giving people and businesses from all backgrounds simple ways to make a significant difference.
Our primary campaigns are ‘Refill’, Europe’s leading, award-winning free tap water initiative; ‘Switch the Stick‘, our successful cotton bud campaign run in 2016\17 which called on all UK retailers to switch from plastic to paper stem buds, stopping over 400 tonnes a year of single-use plastic at source and ‘Plastic-free Periods‘ which to date has directly reached over 9 million people and includes a schools pilot currently being run in 22 schools with 6000 students. Our recent ‘plastic tax’ petition gathered 250k signatures.
We’re looking for an IT expert to help us with our internal efficiencies and office technology. We currently have a HQ in Bristol, but as part of our campaigning across the UK and internationally we rely heavily on video and conference calling to manage meetings.
Here’s what I want you to do:
- Review our Skype / Conference Calling
- Make a recommendation for what system would work best in our office for virtual meetings
- Take us through the options, including ‘Google Hangout’ / ‘Go to Meeting’ / Zoom / Skype
- Once we’ve chosen the best and most budget-friendly option, help us set this up
Our founder, Natalie Fee, is on a mission to help save the world, from plastics and beyond! Her new book, ‘How to Save the World for Free’ is being published this Autumn, and she’s looking for some support with a refresh of her website. Based at City to Sea’s HQ on Bristol’s floating harbour, or from the comfort of your own home or office, we’d welcome applications from volunteers who have got some skills and time they’d like to donate to help Nat’s book make a splash in the world. Depending on your requirements, you’d also be welcome to get more involved with City to Sea’s digital too if that floats your boat.
Key requirements for the role:
- A good understanding of building WordPress sites from scratch as well as editing content.
- Be able to update the backend functionality to a more modern builder (i.e Divi builder)
- Confident with ensuring the best plug-ins are used.
- Have a technical background in SEO, site speed and mobile optimisation.
- A keen eye for detail and design to build beautiful pages.
- Photoshop skills
- Have written copy for the web
We’d love for someone to join us in August for two to three weeks.
Can’t find a job for you?
Send us your CV with a little bit about yourself through our internal jobs board and will get in touch with you as soon as we have a suitable opening. We always on the lookout for volunteers, take a look at our Volunteers page for more information.
Though all applicants will be treated equally regardless of sex, race or other status, we particularly welcome male applicants and those from black and minority ethnic groups.