- Contract Type: 6 months fixed-term starting ASAP (with extension dependent on funding)
- Grade Salary: £27,000 including London Weighting Allowance
- Hours of Work: 9 am – 5 pm full time (4 days will be considered, with pro rata adjustment to salary applied )
- Location: Home-based within Greater London, with weekly expectation to work at Partner offices in central London.
- Probationary Period: 3 months
- Notice Period: 1 month
- Holiday: 36 days per annum, pro rata, to including bank holidays
Who are City to Sea?
We’re a multi-award-winning non-profit environmental organisation campaigning to stop plastic pollution. Through our fun, solutions-focused initiatives we’re empowering individuals to make a difference in their communities, working with corporations and retailers to help them tackle plastic pollution and reaching millions of people with our digital content and campaigns.
We’re made up of everyday people doing extraordinary things; using our skills (and sometimes discovering new ones) to create a more beautiful world. Our mission is to connect our actions to the oceans, by giving people and businesses from all backgrounds simple ways to make a significant difference.
Our primary campaigns are ‘Refill‘, Europe’s leading, award-winning free tap water initiative; ‘Switch the Stick‘, our successful cotton bud campaign run in 2016\17 which called on all UK retailers to switch from plastic to paper stem buds, stopping over 400 tonnes a year of single-use plastic at source and ‘Plastic-free Periods’ which to date has directly reached over 9 million people and includes a schools pilot currently being run in 22 schools with 6000 students. Our recent ‘plastic tax’ petition gathered 250k signatures.
- Are you passionate about tackling plastic pollution and eager to make a difference?
- Do you have experience working with partners to elevate campaigns, brands or sustainability initiatives?
- Are you a natural networker who builds relationships fast?
- Do you thrive in a fast-moving, agile environment?
- Are you able to prioritise a busy workload to ensure you’re having the greatest impact?
- Are you an excellent communicator who is able to influence a wide range of people with tact?
About the role:
Refill is City to Sea’s award-winning campaign to prevent plastic pollution at source, by making it easier to reuse and refill your water bottle on the go than buy a single-use plastic bottle.
The campaign works by connecting people looking for water with thousands of Refill stations across the UK via a location-based app. Anyone can download the free app and find Refill Stations where they can refill for free on the go.
Participating cafes, bars, restaurants, banks, galleries, museums and other businesses simply sign up to the app and put a sticker in their window – alerting passers-by that they’re welcome to come on in and fill up their bottle. With more than 16,000 Refill Stations and over 100,000 app downloads, we’ve proven that Refill has the power to create a tipping point in reducing plastic pollution at source.
The Refill London Co-ordinator will be responsible for growing the movement in London, with the ambition to have local Refill schemes in all London Boroughs by the end of 2019.
Responsibilities & Deliverables:
Refill London Schemes, Delivery and Reporting
- Ensure sign up of Refill Stations across London.
- Establish new local community Refill Schemes in all 33 London Boroughs, providing materials and support.
- Ensure hard-to-reach groups are actively targeted and engaged in setting up community Refill schemes.
- Maintain regular communications with existing Refill Schemes and actively encourage their continued engagement.
- Ensure that all local Refill Schemes have a current MOU in place.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records relating to local Refill Schemes and provide all necessary data and information for monthly Refill reporting.
Partnerships and Representation
- Develop a joint delivery plan with London centric partners, including Greater London Authority and Thames Water to agree activity in the region.
- Build relationships with London centric partners for effective partnership working, with regular progress and planning meetings.
- Seek out and develop additional partnerships to address identified delivery gaps in each London Borough.
- Provide oversight, guidance and support to Refill Local Champions and/or delivery partners, raising relevant issues to the Refill UK Delivery Manager.
- Liaise with City to Sea’s partnerships team to promote Refill London engagement and branding in high footfall areas (shopping centres, airports and transport hubs, universities etc).
- Represent Refill London at key events and give presentations and interviews to raise awareness and encourage engagement with the campaign alongside water companies where relevant.
- Spot opportunities to seek out funding support for Refill London, including using Refill London partner networks.
- Facilitate meetings with potential funders and lead on any preparation work to ensure our bid is successful.
- Apply for any funding with input and approval from City to Sea.
Marketing & Communications
- Create and manage a shared Refill London marketing and communications calendar to identify opportunities and cross over with City to Sea’s wider campaigns.
- Support Refill communications and marketing activity including promoting National Refill Day (June 19th).
- Report local media coverage achieved to City to Sea’s Head of Marketing & Campaigns.
- Inform City to Sea of any significant anticipated media coverage or newsworthy events to include in national Refill social media channels
- Lead on the development of Refill London branded guides, resources and strategies, ensuring Refill London partner logo lock-up is across all assets
- Use Refill Scheme contacts and networks to encourage awareness of and engagement with other City to Sea campaigns and activity as appropriate
Refill App and Website
- Promote the Refill app and be a positive champion of it in London.
- Contribute to moderation and editing of Refill Stations for London.
- Source content for Refill website as appropriate (e.g. information from Refill Schemes to enable
creationof their web pages)
- Contribute to improvement and development of the Refill app and website by reporting problems or constructive suggestions to City to Sea and participating in app testing
Who we’re looking for:
- Passionate about the environment and the reduction of single-use plastics.
- A minimum of 2 years experience in a similar role.
- A strong understanding of community engagement and partnership working.
- Volunteer management.
- A high level of attention to detail.
- Super-duper organised and able to work well under pressure.
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
In return you’ll get:
- The opportunity to work for an award-winning, not for profit.
- The chance to work on meaningful projects that show a positive impact on our planet.
- 36 days holiday (pro rata, including bank holidays).
- Pension scheme.
- Plus, you’ll work with a great group of like-minded people who will always be there to help answer any questions.
- Please apply for this role here.
- Closing date 1st April 2019
Though all applicants will be treated equally regardless of sex, race or other status we particularly welcome those from black, Asian and minority ethnic groups.