Who are City to Sea?
We’re a multi-award-winning non-profit environmental organisation campaigning to stop plastic pollution. Through our fun, solutions-focused initiatives we’re empowering individuals to make a difference in their communities, working with corporations and retailers to help them tackle plastic pollution and reaching millions of people with our digital content and campaigns.
We’re made up of everyday people doing extraordinary things; using our skills (and sometimes discovering new ones) to create a more beautiful world. Our mission is to connect our actions to the oceans, by giving people and businesses from all backgrounds simple ways to make a significant difference.
Our primary campaigns are ‘Refill’, Europe’s leading, award-winning free tap water initiative; ‘Switch the Stick‘, our successful cotton bud campaign run in 2016\17 which called on all UK retailers to switch from plastic to paper stem buds, stopping over 400 tonnes a year of single-use plastic at source and ‘Plastic-free Periods‘ which to date has directly reached over 9 million people and includes a schools pilot currently being run in 22 schools with 6000 students. Our recent ‘plastic tax’ petition gathered 250k signatures.
- Are you passionate about tackling plastic pollution and eager to make a difference?
- Do you have experience working with partners and community groups to elevate campaigns, brands or sustainability initiatives?
- Are you a natural networker who builds relationships fast?
- Do you thrive in a fast-moving, agile environment?
- Are you able to prioritise a busy workload to ensure you’re having the greatest impact?
About the role:
You will work closely with City to Sea’s Founder, Natalie Fee, as an Executive Assistant and oversee the general operations of the office and support members of the team with administrative tasks. Your main responsibilities will be as follows:
Office Administrator (one day per week)
- General day-to-day office support (post, send office-wide emails, help staff)
- Establish and maintain best practise operational systems (overseeing suppliers and services, ensuring that re-ordering of kitchen supplies, recycling, liaising with cleaner etc is well managed)
- Coordinate emails, set up conference calls and book meeting rooms for Senior Leadership Team and City to Sea’s Board.
- Prepare meeting agendas, perform research for meetings, and take minutes during meetings
- Book business travel arrangements, including transportation and lodgings for Founder and CEO
Executive Support (three days per week)
- Manage correspondence by answering emails and managing diaries
- Arrange and coordinate meetings and events
- Support Natalie Fee with her book launch (organising the book tour, liaising with publishers) and arrange travel and accommodation
- Proactively source and coordinate speaking opportunities (events, podcasts, talks) and arrange for travel and accommodation
- Log all speaking events and media reach
- Prepare and edit correspondence, communications, presentations and other documents
- File and retrieve documents and reference materials on Office 365
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for someone super fun, super organised (really, really organised) with a love of good grammar who’s great on the phone and passionate about keeping things (offices, people, plants) in ship-shape!
Attention to detail is key, and previous experience of working in admin or as a PA is essential. You don’t need to have worked in the environmental field before, but you do need to have a love of recycling and ideally be clued up about plastic pollution. It’s a fast-paced, reactive role so you’ll need to be quick-thinking and pro-active,
- At least 2 years’ experience providing support at a high level
- Excellent computer skills and in-depth knowledge of MS Office Suite, Powerpoint and ideally Keynote.
- Knowledge of standard office administrative practices and procedures
- LinkedIn experience
- Skills required:
- Organisational and planning skills
- Great communication skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Good judgment and decision-making ability
- Proactive nature and initiative
- Confidentiality and discretion
- Attention to detail and accuracy
In return you’ll get:
- The opportunity to work for an award-winning, not for profit.
- The chance to work on meaningful projects that show a positive impact on our planet.
- Salary: £14,400 (£18,000 FTE)
- 36 days holiday (pro-rata, including bank holidays).
- Pension scheme.
- Plus, you’ll work with a great group of like-minded people who will always be there to help answer any questions.
Closing date: 18th August, 5pm
Though all applicants will be treated equally regardless of sex, race or other status we particularly welcome those from black, Asian and minority ethnic groups.
We’re looking for an IT expert to help us with our internal efficiencies and office technology. We currently have a HQ in Bristol, but as part of our campaigning across the UK and internationally we rely heavily on video and conference calling to manage meetings.
Here’s what I want you to do:
- Review our Skype / Conference Calling
- Make a recommendation for what system would work best in our office for virtual meetings
- Take us through the options, including ‘Google Hangout’ / ‘Go to Meeting’ / Zoom / Skype
- Once we’ve chosen the best and most budget-friendly option, help us set this up
Our founder, Natalie Fee, is on a mission to help save the world, from plastics and beyond! Her new book, ‘How to Save the World for Free’ is being published this Autumn, and she’s looking for some support with a refresh of her website. Based at City to Sea’s HQ on Bristol’s floating harbour, or from the comfort of your own home or office, we’d welcome applications from volunteers who have got some skills and time they’d like to donate to help Nat’s book make a splash in the world. Depending on your requirements, you’d also be welcome to get more involved with City to Sea’s digital too if that floats your boat.
Key requirements for the role:
- A good understanding of building WordPress sites from scratch as well as editing content.
- Be able to update the backend functionality to a more modern builder (i.e Divi builder)
- Confident with ensuring the best plug-ins are used.
- Have a technical background in SEO, site speed and mobile optimisation.
- A keen eye for detail and design to build beautiful pages.
- Photoshop skills
- Have written copy for the web
We’d love for someone to join us in August for two to three weeks.
Can’t find a job for you?
Send us your CV with a little bit about yourself through our internal jobs board and will get in touch with you as soon as we have a suitable opening. We always on the lookout for volunteers, take a look at our Volunteers page for more information.
Though all applicants will be treated equally regardless of sex, race or other status, we particularly welcome male applicants and those from black and minority ethnic groups.