City to Sea C.I.C. is committed to protecting your personal information and being transparent about what information we hold about our supporters.
The purpose of this policy is to give you a clear explanation about how City to Sea C.I.C. collects and uses the personal information you provide to us and that we collect, whether online, via phone, email, in letters or in any other correspondence or from third parties.
We ensure that we use your information in accordance with all applicable laws concerning the protection of personal information. This policy explains:
- What personal data we hold
- How we collect personal data
- How and why will we use this personal data?
- Personal Data – Information and disclosure
- Your choices
- Under 18’s
- Keeping your personal information
- Your rights
- Complaints and comments
What personal data do we hold?
Some examples of the type of information we may collect and hold about you are as follows:
- your full name and your title or an indication of the gender that you most closely associate with;
- birth date or alternatively a relevant age range;
- postal address;
- telephone number(s);
- email address;
- records of your correspondence with us;
- bank or credit card details (if you purchase something from us or donate to us);
- donation and gift aid details (if you donate to us);
- information you enter into our websites and digital products and details of how you use those websites and digital products
- dietary, accessibility, and mobility information;
But we may also collect, hold and process other personal data where it is appropriate and relevant, for example:
- details of why you have decided to support/contact us and how you may have heard about us and the work that we do;
- details of how you would like to be involved with the work of City to Sea and Refill;
- personal data about you that will enable us to be more precise in what we send you or how we approach you.
How we collect personal data
We collect information about you:
When you give it to us directly: You may give us your personal data in order to receive information from us; buy products from us; when you volunteer with us or take part in any of our community programmes (or request information about these); when you donate to us; when you respond to a survey or when you otherwise engage with us on our websites and digital products.
When you use our websites and digital products, such as www.citytosea.org.uk or www.refill.org.uk: We may collect personal data about you when you use our websites and digital products. Whenever you input personal data into our website (for example signing up to our e-mail mailing list or requesting more information about Refill), we will collect the personal data that you give to us.
We use “cookies” to identify you when you visit our websites and digital products. Amongst other things this helps us to understand our website users and may enable us to improve the website experience for you and/or other users.
We may collect other personal data from your use of the websites, such as your IP address and access times.
This website and its owners take a proactive approach to user privacy and ensure the necessary steps are taken to protect the privacy of its users throughout their visiting experience. This website complies to all UK national laws and requirements for user privacy.
Cookies are small files saved to the user’s computer hard drive that track, save and store information about the user’s interactions and usage of the website. This allows the website, through its server to provide the users with a tailored experience within this website.
Users are advised that if they wish to deny the use and saving of cookies from this website on to their computers hard drive they should take necessary steps within their web browsers security settings to block all cookies from this website and its external serving vendors.
Other cookies may be stored to your computer’s hard drive by external vendors when this website uses referral programs, sponsored links or adverts. Such cookies are used for conversion and referral tracking and typically expire after 30 days, though some may take longer. No personal information is stored, saved or collected.
How and why will we use this personal data?
We will use your personal data to:
- provide you with the information, product or service you have requested from us, including such things as invitations to events that we run or are involved with, merchandise from our shop, responding to your enquiries and requests, attending educational activities and events, and to tell you about our work and our fundraising;
- provide you with other information which we feel may interest you. This may include newsletters, tips, updates, information in relation to fundraising campaigns, voluntary surveys or questionnaires for you to complete, details of relevant volunteering opportunities, and details of any promotions and competitions we are running. We may also send you details of events we think you may be interested in attending;
- analyse and understand how people use our websites and digital products so we can improve and personalise the experience for users and reflect your preferences and previous interactions;
- keep a record of our relationship with you;
- improve how we communicate with you, how we fundraise, and how we operate more generally; keep in contact with you in the ways that you have requested or agreed to;
- personalise our services and communications to you (for example, to ensure that they take into account your age, location and previous involvement with City to Sea);
- provide you with information about carefully selected third party events, products, campaigns and competitions, where we are permitted to do so;
- notify you about changes to our services;
- administer and process payments you make for products, services and charitable donations made to any of our entities;
- comply with applicable laws and regulations and requests from statutory agencies including for such purposes as health and safety; the detection and prevention of crime and safeguarding;
- and carry out any obligations or provide you with any other services, functionality or content which you specifically request or agree to.
Charitable giving is very important to City to Sea’s ability to achieve its mission. We carry out a wide variety of marketing activities to seek individuals’ support for our work, ranging from appeals for small one-off donations, to large fundraising initiatives for specific projects. We want to ensure that we are contacting you with tailored and appropriate communications, and ensure we direct our resources and fundraising activities as efficiently and effectively as we can. We also want to communicate with you from time to time to thank you for your support and tell you what we have achieved with the help of your donation.
We want to ensure you receive the level of information about City to Sea and Refill that is right for you.
If you actively provide your consent to us along with your email address and/or mobile phone number, we may contact you for marketing purposes by email or text message. By subscribing to City to Sea and Refill emails or opting in to email communication from City to Sea, you grant us the right to use the email for both email marketing purposes and advertisement targeting
If you have provided us with your postal address or telephone number we may send you direct mail or telephone you about our work unless you have told us that you would prefer not to receive such information.
Social media targeting:
If you are a social media user, we will use certain social media tools as part of our relationship with you. These tools include such things as Facebook and Instagram Custom/Lookalike Audiences, Google Customer Match/Similar Audiences, Twitter Tailored/Lookalike Audiences and LinkedIn Matched Audiences.
Through using these tools, we will provide some of your data to the social media platform / organisation to allow them to identify your social media profile with them. The social media platform / organisation will then show you relevant advertisements relating to City to Sea which we think you will be interested in seeing on your newsfeed.
Personal Data – Information and disclosure
City to Sea may disclose your personal information in the following circumstances:
To City to Sea suppliers or service providers only to provide the products or services you’ve requested from our site(s) where, for example, we use a separate company to deliver goods to you.
To third parties who provide a service to us and are data processors. This would include our trusted partners that work with us in connection with our charitable purposes, and other entities that sell City to Sea products or provide City to Sea information and marketing (subject to your communication preferences and our internal policies and procedures). We require these third parties to comply strictly with our instructions and data protection laws and we will make sure that appropriate controls are in place. We enter into contracts with all of our data processors and regularly monitor their activities to ensure they are complying with City to Sea policies and procedures.
Where we are under a duty to disclose your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies), or in order to enforce or apply our rights (including in relation to our website or other applicable terms and conditions) or to protect City to Sea, for example in cases of suspected fraud or defamation.
Rest assured, we will never share, sell or swap your details with any third parties for the purposes of their own marketing or the monetising of your data.
It is always your choice as to whether you want to receive information about our work, how we raise funds and the ways you can get involved. If you do not want us to use your personal information in these ways please indicate your preferences on the form on which we collect your data.
You may opt-out of our marketing communications at any time by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link in at the end of our marketing emails or by sending us an “opt-out” text message, following the instructions we provide you in our initial text.
You can also change any of your contact preferences at any time (including telling us that you don’t want us to contact you for marketing purposes by telephone, or by post) by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
We will not use your personal information for marketing purposes if you have indicated that you do not wish to be contacted by us for such purposes. However, we will retain your details on a suppression list to help ensure that we do not continue to contact you.
We are committed to protecting the privacy of the young people that engage with us through our education and information services for young people on our website, at events and at schools.
If you are under 18 and would like to get involved with the work of City to Sea, please ensure that you have consent from a parent or guardian before giving us your personal information. When we collect information about a child or young person aged under 18 we will make it very clear as to the reasons for collecting this information and how it will be used.
Keeping your personal information
We keep your personal information only for as long as required to operate the service in accordance with legal requirements and tax and accounting rules. Where your information is no longer required, we will ensure it is disposed of in a secure manner.
Your ability to edit and delete your account information preferences
The accuracy of your personal information is important to us. You can edit the information held by City to Sea, including your address and contact details at any time. If you would like to change your preferences or update the details we hold about you other than online, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to City to Sea CIC, Unit D, Albion Dockside Studios, Hanover Place, Bristol, BS1 6UT.
Please note that you may only use/ benefit from some of the following rights in limited circumstances. For more information, we suggest that you consult guidance from the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) – https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/ – or please contact us at email@example.com.
Right to restrict processing
In certain circumstances as outlined in the ICO guidance referred to above, you have a right to require us to stop processing your personal data in a particular way.
Right to erasure
You have the right to request that your personal data is erased from our records in certain circumstances.
Right of access
You have a right to ask for a copy of the personal data we hold about you. If you want to access your personal data, please send a description of the personal data you want to see and proof of your identity by post toCity to Sea CIC, Unit D, Albion Dockside Studios, Hanover Place, Bristol, BS1 6UT.
Right to rectification
We also want to make sure that your personal data is accurate and up to date. Please let us know if your details change. You may also ask us to correct or remove personal data which is inaccurate.
Right to object
You can also opt-out of receiving all or some of our marketing/ fundraising communications or request that we stop processing personal data about you for certain purposes at any time by contacting us using the details below.
Right to data portability
In certain circumstances you have a right to data portability which means we will provide you (or a third party you nominate) with your personal data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format.
Complaints or comments
If you are unhappy with our work or something that we have done or failed to do, we want to know about it. We also welcome your views on what we do well. Your comments enable us as an organisation to learn and continuously improve our services.
To give us feedback, or lodge a complaint please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to City to Sea CIC, Unit D, Albion Dockside Studios, Hanover Place, Bristol, BS1 6UT.
We may update the terms of this policy at any time, so please do check it from time to time. We will notify you about significant changes in the way we treat personal information by sending a notice to the primary email address you have provided to us or by placing a prominent notice on our website(s). By continuing to use our website you will be deemed to have accepted such changes.
RESOURCES & FURTHER INFORMATION
- Data Protection Act 1998
- Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003
- Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003 – The Guide
- Fillable PDF Forms Creation
- Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
v.3.0 April 2018 Edited & customised by: City to Sea CIC, Unit D, Albion Dockside Studios, Hanover Place, Bristol, BS1 6UT