At City to Sea C.I.C., we’re committed to protecting your personal information and being transparent about what information we hold about our supporters, volunteers, app users or job seekers.
The purpose of this policy is to give you a clear explanation about how we collect and use the personal information you provide to us online, via phone, over email, in letters, in any other correspondence or from third parties.
We take this very seriously and always ensure that we use your information in accordance with all laws concerning the protection of personal information.
WHAT PERSONAL DATA DO WE HOLD?
We don’t keep much personal data. But this is the list of what we store:
- Your full name and your title or an indication of the gender that you most closely associate with.
- Your date of birth or alternatively a relevant age range.
- Your email address.
- Your address (if provided).
- Telephone number(s).
- Records of your contact with us.
- Bank or credit card details (if you purchase something from us or donate to us).
- Donation and gift aid details (if you donate to us).
- Information you enter into our websites or app.
- How you engage with us on social media.
- We may collect other personal data from your use of the websites, such as your IP address and access times.
Only applicable to the Refill app:
when you create an account on the Refill app we collect:
- Your email address.
- Your first name and your surname.
- Your country of residence.
- Your preference for receiving marketing from us, or one of our Delivery Partners in your country of residence.
- Geo-IP data designed to detect your current location (Refill app).
- Mobile device operating system (automatically collected, when downloading the Refill app).
- If you do not create a Refill account and continue to use the app, any data will be logged as anonymous.
When you create an account with us your data is encrypted and your account is given a unique identifier, called a User ID. You’ll find this on your app, under ‘Settings’ or by clicking the cog icon.
But we may also collect, hold and process other personal data where it is appropriate and relevant, for example:
- Details of why you have decided to support/contact us and how you may have heard about us and the work that we do.
- Details of how you would like to be involved with the work of City to Sea and our campaigns.
- Personal data about you that will enable us to be more precise in what we send you.
HOW WE COLLECT PERSONAL DATA
We may collect personal data about you when you use our websites and digital products, such as:
- The Refill app.
You may give us:
- Your personal data in order to receive information from us.
- When you buy products from us.
- When you volunteer with us or take part in any of our community programmes (or request information about these).
- When you donate to us.
- When you respond to a survey or petition.
- Or when you otherwise engage with us on our websites, through email and in the Refill app.
Your personal data may be shared with us by third parties in certain circumstances. This may include (but is not limited to):
- When you sign a petition through third party companies such as 38 Degrees.org,
- Download the Refill app from Google play or the App Store.
- Or make a donation through PayPal.
We use “cookies” to identify you when you visit our websites and digital products. Amongst other things, this helps us to understand our website users and may enable us to improve the website experience for you and/or other users.
Cookies may be stored to your computer’s hard drive by external vendors when this website uses referral programs, sponsored links or adverts. Such cookies are used for conversion and referral tracking and typically expire after 30 days, though some may take longer. No personal information is stored, saved or collected.
We may use tracking to show you relevant content on social media and to understand what content you engage with on our site, you can manage the privacy settings on your social media accounts, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter if you’d rather not see these.
HOW AND WHY WILL WE USE THIS PERSONAL DATA?
We’ll use your personal data to:
- Provide you with the information, product or service you have requested from us.
- Provide you with other information which we feel may interest you through our campaigns.
- Provide you with information about carefully selected third-party events, products, campaigns and competitions, where we are permitted to do so.
- Send you details of events we think you may be interested in attending.
- Analyse and understand how people use our websites, our app and digital products so we can improve and personalise the experience for users and reflect your preferences and previous interactions.
- Keep a record of our relationship with you.
- Personalise our services and communications to you.
- Notify you about changes to our services.
- Administer and process payments you make for products, services and charitable donations made to any of our entities.
- Comply with applicable laws and regulations and requests from statutory agencies including for such purposes as health and safety, the detection and prevention of crime and safeguarding.
Charitable giving is very important to us at City to Sea, it allows us to achieve our mission. We carry out a wide variety of marketing activities to seek individuals’ support for our work, ranging from appeals for small one-off donations to large fundraising initiatives for specific projects. We want to ensure that we contact you with tailored and appropriate communications, and ensure we direct our resources and fundraising activities as efficiently and effectively as we can. We also want to communicate with you from time to time to thank you for your support and tell you what we have achieved with the help of your donation.
We want to ensure you receive the level of information about City to Sea and our campaigns that is right for you.
If you actively provide your consent to us along with your email address and/or mobile phone number, we may contact you for marketing purposes by email or text message. By subscribing to City to Sea and Refill emails, you grant us the right to use the email for both email marketing purposes and advertisement targeting.
If you have provided us with your postal address or telephone number, we may send you direct mail or telephone you about our work unless you have told us that you would prefer not to receive such information.
Social media targeting:
If you are a social media user, we will use certain social media tools as part of our relationship with you. These tools include such things as Facebook and Instagram Custom/Lookalike Audiences, Google Customer Match/Similar Audiences, Twitter Tailored/Lookalike Audiences and LinkedIn Matched Audiences.
PERSONAL DATA – INFORMATION AND DISCLOSURE
City to Sea may disclose your personal information in the following circumstances:
To City to Sea suppliers or service providers only to provide the products or services you’ve requested from our site(s) where, for example, we use a separate company to deliver goods to you.
To third parties who provide a service to us and are data processors. This would include our trusted partners that work with us in connection with our charitable purposes, and other entities that sell City to Sea products or provide City to Sea information and marketing (subject to your communication preferences and our internal policies and procedures). We require these third parties to comply strictly with our instructions and data protection laws and we will make sure that appropriate controls are in place. We enter into contracts with all of our data processors and regularly monitor their activities to ensure they are complying with City to Sea policies and procedures.
Where we’re under a duty to disclose your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies), or in order to enforce or apply our rights (including in relation to our website or other applicable terms and conditions) or to protect City to Sea, for example in cases of suspected fraud or defamation.
Rest assured, we will never share, sell or swap your details with any third parties for the purposes of their own marketing or the monetising of your data.
It’s always your choice to receive information about our work, how we raise funds and the ways you can get involved. If you don’t want us to use your personal information in these ways, please indicate your preferences when providing your personal data.
You may opt-out of our marketing communications at any time by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link in marketing emails or by sending us an “opt-out” text message.
You can also change any of your contact preferences at any time, including telling us that you don’t want us to contact you for marketing purposes by telephone, or by post, by emailing [email protected] or [email protected].
We won’t use your personal information for marketing purposes if you’ve indicated that you don’t wish to be contacted by us for such purposes. However, we’ll retain your details on a suppressed list to help ensure that we don’t continue to contact you.
We are committed to protecting the privacy of the young people that engage with us through our education and information services for young people on our websites, at events and at schools.
If you are under 18 and would like to get involved with the work of City to Sea, please ensure that you have consent from a parent or guardian before giving us your personal information. When we collect information about a child or young person aged under 18, we’ll make it very clear as to the reasons for collecting this information and how it’ll be used.
KEEPING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We keep your personal information only for as long as required to operate the service in accordance with legal requirements and tax and accounting rules. Where your information is no longer required, we’ll ensure it is disposed of in a secure manner.
YOUR ABILITY TO EDIT AND DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT INFORMATION PREFERENCES
The accuracy of your personal information is important to us. You can edit the information held by City to Sea, at any time. If you would like to make a change, please contact us at [email protected] or write to City to Sea CIC, Unit D, Albion Dockside Studios, Hanover Place, Bristol, BS1 6UT.
For full details on your rights, we suggest that you consult guidance from the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
COMPLAINTS OR COMMENTS
If you are unhappy with our work or something that we have done or failed to do, we want to know about it. We also welcome your views on what we do well. Your comments enable us as an organisation to learn and continuously improve our services.
To give us feedback, or lodge a complaint please contact us at [email protected] or write to City to Sea CIC, Unit D, Albion Dockside Studios, Hanover Place, Bristol, BS1 6UT.
RESOURCES & FURTHER INFORMATION
- Data Protection Act 1998
- Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003
- Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003 – The Guide
- Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
V.4.0 April 2020 Edited & customised by: Lanie Sibley, Head of Digital, City to Sea CIC, Unit D, Albion Dockside Studios, Hanover Place, Bristol, BS1 6UT