Who are City to Sea?
We’re a multi-award-winning non-profit environmental organisation campaigning to stop plastic pollution. Through our fun, solutions-focused initiatives we’re empowering individuals to make a difference in their communities, working with corporations and retailers to help them tackle plastic pollution and reaching millions of people with our digital content and campaigns.
We’re made up of everyday people doing extraordinary things; using our skills (and sometimes discovering new ones) to create a more beautiful world. Our mission is to connect our actions to the oceans, by giving people and businesses from all backgrounds simple ways to make a significant difference.
Our primary campaigns are ‘Refill’, Europe’s leading, award-winning free tap water initiative; ‘Switch the Stick‘, our successful cotton bud campaign run in 2016\17 which called on all UK retailers to switch from plastic to paper stem buds, stopping over 400 tonnes a year of single-use plastic at source and ‘Plastic-free Periods‘ which to date has directly reached over 9 million people and includes a schools pilot currently being run in 22 schools with 6000 students. Our recent ‘plastic tax’ petition gathered 250k signatures.
|Job title||Head of Operations|
|Reporting to||Chief Executive|
|Grade Salary||£40,000 per annum FTE|
|Hours of Work||Full time (4 days will be considered)|
|Location||Bristol – Albion Dockside Building|
|Probationary Period||3 months|
|Holiday||36 days per annum pro rata, to include bank holidays|
|Closing Date||Midnight on Sunday 9th February|
About City to Sea
We’re a not-for-profit organisation campaigning to stop plastic pollution at source. Through our digital content and campaigns, we are raising awareness of the issue and changing behaviour, making sure people know that wherever you live, your actions affect our oceans. We exist to awaken active hope, champion practical solutions and inspire positive action that serves to protect and restore wildlife, rivers and seas. City to Sea are behind the award-winning Refill campaign, which is estimated to have prevented 100 million plastic bottles from entering our waste stream by 2019.
- Earth kind. We don’t just appreciate nature, we love it. Nature is our best buddy, our trusted advisor and our most important board member.
- Positive. We praise progress and listen to all perspectives, whilst remaining authentic. We believe a tickle is better than a punch and keep our messaging upbeat and playful.
- Brave. We take risks with our content and embrace our mistakes. We dream big and make magic happen.
- Creative. We keep our messaging simple when facing complex issues. We improvise, imagine and inspire, embracing diversity and seeking inclusion.
- Balanced. We’re a critical friend and trusted peer. In a world of fake news and greenwashing, we take our time to find out the facts and evaluate our impact.
Purpose of the role
To ensure we are financially, legally, ethically and environmentally compliant always.
Scope of the role
City to Sea is now looking for a Head of Operations to manage and improve the central services and systems in the organisation. You will be part of the Senior Management Team and will support and where appropriate occasionally deputise for the Chief Executive or other Heads of Department.
You will manage the Operations team and will be the strategic lead for the central services. A key focus of this role is the creation and maintenance of efficient processes and work-flow systems to enable a creative and collaborate environment, enhancing our ability to deliver great work. You will also need to understand the key commercial drivers in the organisation and support the CEO in developing new strategies for sustainable growth and impact. Ultimately, you’ll ensure our operations run smoothly and that people are productive.
Your team consists of:
- HR Manager
- Office & PA Admin (Line managed by the HR Manager)
- Finance Manager
- Research & Insights Lead
- Sustainability and Behaviour Change Consultant
We are looking for an ambitious and highly experienced senior professional who will take responsibility for the management of the day to day operations. You should be a responsible leader with an analytical and strategic mind and have a broad knowledge of the business. If you’re also committed to productivity and compliance, we’d like to meet you.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following qualities:
- Have a strong connection to City to Sea’s purpose and core values.
- Previous track record in a similar operational lead role for 5+ years, with a focus on delivering excellence and a high attention to detail.
- Extensive experience of budget management and managing contracts with customers, vendors, partners and other stakeholders
- Knowledge of local and international laws (e.g. data protection) to ensure the organisation is always compliant. Part of this will be ensuring consistent use of operational standards.
- Be a key driver of our delivery process, reviewing and engineering the way we deliver work to drive greater clarity, efficiency, satisfaction and impact. As such significant experience of producing and implementing policies, procedures and processes is essential.
- Experience at change management and inspiring teams to embed new processes, specifically around embedding Customer Relationship Management databases. Demonstrate the ability to take a pro-active and well considered approach where new procedures and platforms are to be implemented.
- Ability to anticipate the growth of the organisation both in terms of delivery, new campaigns, budget, and staffing. Ensure that this development has a planned and realistic time-frame with the operational enhancements that this may require.
- Experience of working in an environment that promotes equality of opportunity and collaborative working to deliver non-discriminatory services.
- Ability to set and manage own and central team priorities, objectives and deadlines while maintaining a focus on the key priorities.
- You’ll be tenacious, and be up for the challenge, you’ll thrive in an ever-changing landscape.
- Overall you will be looking for a role you can truly call your own and be looking to make a real difference.
What we expect from you …
- To be a positive force for change and a proud flyer of City to Sea’s flag!
- To attend and contribute to supervision and appraisal process, meetings, training, and other events as required.
- To travel to meetings in the UK, which may require the need to work unsociable hours e.g. attending evening or weekend meetings or for overnight stay.
- To ensure that all responsibilities and activities within this post are in accordance with the terms and spirit of City to Sea’s mission, vision, values, objectives, policies, procedures and practices.
What you can expect from us …
- An onboarding process to help you get up to speed.
- Monthly management meetings with the Chief Executive to help resolve any issues and support your professional development.
- A positive, solutions-focused working environment.
- Flexibility on your working hours – results over rigidity!
Closing date: Midnight on Sunday 9th February
Though all applicants will be treated equally regardless of sex, race or other status we particularly welcome those from black, Asian and minority ethnic groups.
We’re looking for an IT expert to help us with our internal efficiencies and office technology. We currently have a HQ in Bristol, but as part of our campaigning across the UK and internationally we rely heavily on video and conference calling to manage meetings.
Here’s what I want you to do:
- Review our Skype / Conference Calling
- Make a recommendation for what system would work best in our office for virtual meetings
- Take us through the options, including ‘Google Hangout’ / ‘Go to Meeting’ / Zoom / Skype
- Once we’ve chosen the best and most budget-friendly option, help us set this up
Can’t find a job for you?
Send us your CV with a little bit about yourself through our internal jobs board and will get in touch with you as soon as we have a suitable opening. We always on the lookout for volunteers, take a look at our Volunteers page for more information.
Though all applicants will be treated equally regardless of sex, race or other status, we particularly welcome male applicants and those from black and minority ethnic groups.