Who are City to Sea?
We’re a multi-award-winning non-profit environmental organisation campaigning to stop plastic pollution. Through our fun, solutions-focused initiatives we’re empowering individuals to make a difference in their communities, working with corporations and retailers to help them tackle plastic pollution and reaching millions of people with our digital content and campaigns.
We’re made up of everyday people doing extraordinary things; using our skills (and sometimes discovering new ones) to create a more beautiful world. Our mission is to connect our actions to the oceans, by giving people and businesses from all backgrounds simple ways to make a significant difference.
Our primary campaigns are ‘Refill’, Europe’s leading, award-winning free tap water initiative; ‘Switch the Stick‘, our successful cotton bud campaign run in 2016\17 which called on all UK retailers to switch from plastic to paper stem buds, stopping over 400 tonnes a year of single-use plastic at source and ‘Plastic-free Periods‘ which to date has directly reached over 9 million people and includes a schools pilot currently being run in 22 schools with 6000 students. Our recent ‘plastic tax’ petition gathered 250k signatures.
|Contract Type||1 year fixed-term|
|Grade Salary||£30,000 per annum FTE (Level 2)|
|Hours of Work||4 or 5 days – flexible working offered (Core hours 10-4 pm)|
|Probationary Period||3 months|
|Notice Period||2 months|
|Reports to||Head of Partnerships|
|Holiday||36 days per annum pro rata, to include bank holidays|
|Deadline for Applications||Sunday 22nd March (Midnight GMT)|
City to Sea is looking for a Global Franchise Manager to find, contract, onboard and support a growing network of brilliant NGO’s around the world, to deliver our award-winning campaign Refill.
We need someone to constantly improve our international business model, executing a plan to help our Delivery Partners contribute to City to Sea’s vision – a world where everyone connects their actions to our oceans so all life can thrive.
You will work closely with our global network of Delivery Partners responsible for delivering the Refill campaign in their Territory. You will lead and manage oversight of the successful delivery of work, setting and meeting ambitious Refill targets, delivering and reporting against all contract commitments and leading a motivated and innovative global network.
We’re looking for someone who can think big (both immediately and long term) but who also understands the importance of getting the details right.
Though all applicants will be treated equally regardless of sex, race or other status, City to Sea is under-represented by Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic groups, men and 45+ year olds. Therefore, candidates from these groups are particularly encouraged. As this is a global role, we also particularly welcome multi-lingual candidates.
About City to Sea
City to Sea is a not-for-profit organisation, campaigning to stop plastic pollution at source. We run people-powered, community serving campaigns that tackle the single-use plastic items most found on our beaches, and in our rivers and oceans. We’re inspiring people to change their behaviour by developing simple solutions to complicated problems and empowering everyday activists to challenge the system.
Refill is an award-winning campaign to prevent plastic pollution at source, by making it easier to reuse and refill your bottle with free tap water than buy a new one. We have stopped an estimated 100 million plastic bottles from entering the waste stream by the end of 2019 in the UK alone. Since its launch in 2015, Refill has grown into a global movement with Delivery Partners established in Australia, Europe, South America, Japan and UAE already. We want the Refill app to become the go-to place to find out where to Refill so everyone, everywhere can access free drinking water on the go and eradicate single-use plastic from bottled water.
Key objectives for expanding Refill globally:
- Increase our impact and stop plastic pollution at source.
- Grow our database of Refill Stations and App users.
- Increase the diversity and cultural reach of Refill.
- Open new markets to increase funding.
- Enable the app to work for existing and new users when travelling outside of the UK.
Sound exciting? Read on to find out more.
The Global Franchise Manager will lead the following areas:
- Strategy: You will play a key role in setting our long-term strategy for global expansion at City to Sea. You will be responsible for evolving our global franchise business model and utilising a “best practice” approach, ensuring a sustainable and profitable expansion. You will design operational improvements, effective processes and capacity building tactics, to aid Delivery Partners in maximising impact – whilst being efficient with our limited resources.
- Account Management: You’ll be responsible for the full lifecycle of a Delivery Partner from prospecting, contracting, onboarding and day-to-day account management. You will understand country specific needs for execution and align tools and processes to streamline support. You will aid Delivery Partners to ensure consistency in standard operating procedures, with a focus on impact reporting and fundraising.
- Collaboration: Collaboration is vital at City to Sea and everyone works as a team. You won’t be doing this alone and in fact, if you prefer to work solo, this is not the role for you. You will be connecting and partnering with people at all levels of all types of organisations. You will need to be diplomatic and persuasive in order to execute our global strategy successfully.
- Ambassador: You will represent City to Sea at a variety of events and be responsible for effectively showcasing City to Sea’s mission around the world, raising our visibility. You will need to be comfortable talking to Funders, Delivery Partners and other key stakeholders. You must be able to “sell” the opportunity Refill offers in a way that attracts franchisees to join the network and maintain high quality.
- Research: You will be responsible for conducting desktop research to inform our strategy and approach. Research will be key to developing new markets and spotting funding opportunities. By keeping abreast of relevant issues and campaigns, you’ll be able to be ahead of trends and ensure Refill becomes the leading plastic pollution campaign globally. Key to this role is also identifying like-minded NGOs to join City to Sea as Delivery Partners.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following qualities:
- Have a strong connection to City to Sea’s purpose and core values.
- Skilled communicator and collaborator
- Good attention to detail and organisational skills
- Project management experience, ability to work to deadline
- Ability to manage and prioritise own workload
- High quality decision making, resourcefulness, ability to drive results
- Clear value for difference and diversity
Find out more about our values, expectations and benefits on our website
Refill.org.uk | refillapp.com
Closing date: Midnight Sunday 22nd March
We’re looking for an IT expert to help us with our internal efficiencies and office technology. We currently have a HQ in Bristol, but as part of our campaigning across the UK and internationally we rely heavily on video and conference calling to manage meetings.
Here’s what I want you to do:
- Review our Skype / Conference Calling
- Make a recommendation for what system would work best in our office for virtual meetings
- Take us through the options, including ‘Google Hangout’ / ‘Go to Meeting’ / Zoom / Skype
- Once we’ve chosen the best and most budget-friendly option, help us set this up
What we expect from you …
- To be a positive force for change and a proud flyer of City to Sea’s flag!
- To engage with City to Sea’s developmental framework to strengthen yourself, work together and deliver results.
- To be prepared to travel to meetings in the UK and attend events
- To act in accordance with the terms and spirit of City to Sea’s mission, vision, values, objectives, policies, procedures, and practices.
- The expectation that this post is based in City to Sea’s offices in Bristol, flexible working options negotiable depending on location and experience
What you can expect from us …
- A thorough and engaging onboarding process to help you get up to speed
- Development and coaching
- A positive, fun and inclusive working environment
- Flexibility in your working hours
- A range of benefits including discounted environmentally friendly products, cycle to work scheme and four organisational wide team days per year.
In return you’ll get:
- The opportunity to work for an award-winning, not for profit.
- The chance to work on meaningful projects that show a positive impact on our planet.
- 36 days holiday (pro-rata, including bank holidays).
- Pension scheme.
- Plus, you’ll work with a great group of people who will always be there to help answer any questions.
Can’t find a job for you?
Send us your CV with a little bit about yourself through our internal jobs board and will get in touch with you as soon as we have a suitable opening. We always on the lookout for volunteers, take a look at our Volunteers page for more information.
Though all applicants will be treated equally regardless of sex, race or other status, we particularly welcome male applicants and those from black and minority ethnic groups.