Is there any risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) from wearing a menstrual cup?

Like with any internal period product, there is a risk of TSS. But a clean, properly used menstrual cup means the chances are very small. Take good care of personal hygiene and always choose a trusted brand.

TSS is an infection caused by bacteria entering through wounds or mucous membrane. It is an extremely rare, potentially fatal disease occurring in those with or without a uterus, and children. TSS is usually connected with absorbent tampons.

SYMPTOMS INCLUDE:

  • sudden high fever
  • sore throat
  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • dizziness
  • a rash resembling sunburn
  • muscle aches
  • fainting or blackouts

Early recognition and cure is vital, so if you have some of the symptoms mentioned above, remove the menstrual cup immediately, contact your doctor and express your concerns about the possibility of TSS.

Please follow and like us:
error